The Local Authors' Collection
The Mesa Public Library is pleased to have the works of many local authors on our shelves and wishes to recognize local creative efforts by including them in the collection when possible. Local authors are defined as those with an active and current community connection within Arizona. Materials must meet the Library’s Selection Criteria Policy. If accepted, a single copy of the work will be added to the collection. Acceptance of an author's work does not guarantee that we will buy additional copies, nor purchase them directly through the author. Arizona residents of all ages are encouraged to submit their books for consideration. Materials will be selected based on the guidelines below.
You will be notified by email within 60 days regarding the status of your submission.
- Author must be a current resident of Arizona.
- Book submissions must be professionally printed and bound (no spiral binding). Mesa Public Library generally does not add books to the general collection that have been self-printed. Books with pages designed to be filled in by the reader or torn out are not appropriate.
- Submissions must be donated to the library and will become the property of the Mesa Public Library and the City of Mesa.
- The collection is intended to contribute to the education and enjoyment of the community. Criteria for selection may include:
- Presence of an important movement, style, trend, or culture
- Vitality and originality
- Artistic presentation and quality
- Overall entertainment or educational value
- Appropriateness for readers of different tastes, interests, and reading abilities.
- Materials that are accepted and added to the collection will be subject to the same standards as any other library material and may be reconsidered, weeded and withdrawn in the course of time. Materials which have been withdrawn and are in good condition will be given to the Library’s Book Sale area, donated to other non-profit agencies, or recycled where appropriate. No items can be held for or returned to individuals. Titles that are discarded, lost, or withdrawn are not automatically replaced or reordered.
- Local Materials that are not accepted for addition into the Library’s collection will be given to the Library’s Book Sale area, donated to other non-profit agencies, or recycled where appropriate.
- The Library is under no obligation to promote individual books or authors, nor provide authors with a programming platform.
- A completed submission form (below) must accompany your item. Send one copy of your item along with a completed submission form and any professional reviews/critiques to: Liz Costanzo-Lee, Mesa Public Library, 64 East 1st St., Mesa, AZ 85201