Any Mesa Public Library cardholder may request that an item in the library’s collections be reviewed for appropriateness. A title will be reviewed only once within a five year period unless the content has undergone major revisions.
The procedure for reconsideration of material is as follows:
- The customer seeking reconsideration of a work receives a copy of the Mesa Public Library Collection Guidelines and a Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials form. These are available online and at all public service desks.
- The customer seeking reconsideration must read, view, or listen to the entirety of the work before requesting reconsideration of library material.
- The customer may submit the Request for Reconsideration of Material form at any public service desk.The customer will receive a letter acknowledging receipt of the Request for Reconsideration form by the library and advising that a written response to the Request will be sent within 28 days.
- The form is routed to the Branch Coordinator who will assign a librarian to review and research the request. The librarian will present a recommendation to the Branch Coordinator and Library Director.
- The librarian will contact the customer to discuss the customer’s request and the Library’s decision regarding the material.
- The Library’s decision will be mailed within 28 days of the original request.
- If the customer is not satisfied with the Library’s decision, the customer may file a written notice of appeal within 30 days to the Library Director.